Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Can you help me please?    

Can you help me please?

yuky
Italy

Can you help me please?

Can you help me, please? My son �s English teacher says there is a difference between Present Perfect Continuous and Duration Form... I wonder... What �s the difference?
                           Thank you very much 

1 Jun 2015      

67Englishteacher
France

hello

I never use the term "duration form", but I agree that there are (at least) two uses of the present perfect continuous.
1) "I �ve been sunbathing since two o �clock." This is what you call duration form, I suppose
2) "He �s been crying". Here, we aren �t interested in any duration. The speaker is making a statement about what happened in the past and which has left visible traces in the present (the tears).
3) Similar to 2 : "She �s been eavesdropping!" : this is a criticism, probably based on a consequence in the present situation.

I hope this helps

1 Jun 2015     

yanogator
United States

67 �s excellent examples show that there is a difference. I had never heard of "duration form", but if it is using the present perfect continuous with a time period (or duration), then there is a difference, in that the duration replaces the necessity of a result or consequence in the present.

When you see my messy kitchen, I explain it by saying, "I �ve been cooking". There is a result in the messy kitchen.

"I �ve been teaching for 30 years" does have a result of course, but you can �t see it.

So, yes, there is a difference, and if your son �s teacher wants to emphasize that, it �s fine. Many other teachers just demonstrate the uses of the present perfect continuous.

Bruce 

1 Jun 2015     

yuky
Italy

Thank you very much!!!!!! :-* 

3 Jun 2015