Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how would you fix this sentence?    

how would you fix this sentence?

Pedro14
Spain

how would you fix this sentence?

I can �t find a way to fix this sentence after having been correcting compositions all morning. I know it is a literal translation from Spanish but can �t find a way to make it sound natural.

* We gathered my family and my friends at the restaurant.

Maybe My family and friends gathered together  at the restaurant. or My family and friends had a get-togetherat the restaurant.??

Thanks in advance. 

3 Jun 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

We met at the restaurant. My family and friends met at the restaurant. My family and friends all met at the restaurant. My family and friends all met up at the restaurant.

3 Jun 2015     

Apodo
Australia

We use the word gathering, especially when it is a special event such as abirthday.
We had a gathering for family and friends at the restaurant.
We had a family gathering at the restaurant.

Edit: I just noticed it is the noun form that is used. The best verbs are those mentioned above by Redcamarocruiser.

3 Jun 2015     

darktower74
Canada

Depending on the meaning, you could change it in a variety of ways.

We gathered my family and my friends at the restaurant. --> We gathered my family and friends at the restaurant.
                                                                                                      --> My family and friends gathered at the restaurant.

3 Jun 2015