Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > sites/games to help a kid learn to read    

sites/games to help a kid learn to read

MarionG
Netherlands

sites/games to help a kid learn to read

Dear all,
I am asking for your help.
I have a ten year old student who hasn �t learned the ABC yet whereas his classmates are all pretty much up and reading by now. Only now the school has agreed that I start working with him one-on-one in an attempt to teach him the basics. I will have only three 45 minute lessons with him until this school year ends and he only knows the the first 5 letters of the alphabet. I never really taught the abc (I usually get them only after they learned the letters) so i �m a bit nervous about it.
I realize i probably won �t be able to get him to read within that time so I would like to put together a kind of program for him to work on independently  over the summer. I am looking for videos and games that can help him to learn to read. 
I am familiar with �starfall � but it that is great only once he knows the letters. I also know �firststepreading � but it is a tad boring (sorry) for a kid to work on on his own.
I would be very grateful if you can share sites to help him. I am also very interested in sound matching games etc. something to make it a bit more fun. 
I thought to collect links and put them on a usb stick for him so he can access them at home during the summer. 
Thanks in advance, Marion 

6 Jun 2015      

gift_hits
Thailand

good

6 Jun 2015     

ellakass
Israel

Marion, PM me your email and tomorrow morning I will send you some helpful things.

6 Jun 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

A search turned up  this, but I have not used it so don �t know if it is any good. 

6 Jun 2015     

ronit85
Israel

Hi Marion,
 There are  quite many sites available but most sites will need a teacher �s help as our Hebrew speaking kids won �t be able to understand even cvc written booklets. This is true for starfall too!
I think the following site might help. It needs a short introduction but the pupil could eventually work by himself
And this site could be fun once he knows the letters and sounds 
Good luck with your student and enjoy the summer holiday
Ronit 

7 Jun 2015     

MarionG
Netherlands

@ redcamarocruiser
thanks you. I �ll save the site. For now the problem is that my student isn �t an English speaker. He doesn �t know most of the names in the pictures and therefore he can �t really play matching games where there are only pictures, without anyone reading the word out loud.
@Ronit,
Thanks, the bingo game also has an option to play is as a match-the-sound-of-the-letter to the letter game and that is perfect for him. I �ll have to look a bit more into the first link. Thanks/

7 Jun 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I found this site today (independently of roniit), so I was pleased when I discovered her post) and I played the show me game for the alphabet sounds. http://www.abcya.com/alphabet_matching_game.htm  Once you teach your student to access the game (click on go, click on show me. click on the cards, he can probably play it iindependently.

7 Jun 2015     

Miss De
Australia

http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/

7 Jun 2015     

kwsp
United States

Marion,

I checked out the fast phonics site sent by Ronit. Here are three links to that site that might be useful to you: 

This antonyms game is 4th/5th grade level so it is obviously too high for your student, but actually I had a fun time playing it! Maybe someone can use it? It is on the site sent by both redcamerocruiser and Ronit.

Anyway, hope things come together for you!
kwsp 

7 Jun 2015