Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > like vs as    

like vs as

Pedro14
Spain

like vs as

Another question that popped into my mind this afternoon in class is about the words above mentioned. I always teach my students that "like" is followed by a noun and "as" by a clause. According to this explanation, we should say "AS I said before, .... However, I have read that sentence using that instead many times "LIKE I said before,... Is it a bad usage of the words or I am not teaching my students everything about these words? I have checked some gramar books and they mention what I teach.

Thanks. 

9 Jun 2015      

steptong
Hong Kong

Thanks a lot for your help.

9 Jun 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

I�m not too sure from your post what you think is "bad usage", but I�m assuming it�s conjunctive like. I shouldn�t worry too much about this particular usage, since it�s now generally accepted that it has "never been less than standard". I�ve also heard that conjunctive like is more common in American English � but I know that it isn�t unusual in British English either.

Alex 

EDIT: I knew this topic had been discussed several times before; this is one from a few years back where I�ve more or less said the same thing:

Damn, but I must have got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning...

10 Jun 2015