Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can native speakers help me?    

Can native speakers help me?

life_line
Ukraine

Can native speakers help me?

I need native speakers � help or perhaps just someone with better ears than mine ))
I �m watching a Speakout podcast about family members and I can �t understand what the woman is saying at 0:58 + At first she introduces her daughter, then her partner David. Then she says, �.. and there �s a grandma and grandpa in.. � And that �s where I �m stuck. Thanks for all the replies if I have any :) Here �s the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCPOzMdO4c 

17 Jul 2015      

spinney
United Kingdom

"This is my daughter, Cecilia, this is my partner, David and there �s Grandma and Grandpa and Gran and Grandad too." I assume "Gran and Grandad" are said differently for the benefit of the daughter. Some people do things like that to increase vocabulary of their children or lessen the confusion about synonyms. When I was a child it was "Gran and Grandad Scott and Gran and Grandad Bates." But  my family are rural working class. She sounds urban middle class but I could be wrong, especially nowadays.

17 Jul 2015     

life_line
Ukraine

OMG, thank you. Now it �s all crystal clear. 
Yeah, maybe for the kid or maybe she means her partner �s parents. Or Cecilia �s dad, if that �s a different person. I wonder which version it is :)
Anyway, thanks a lot. I appreciate your help, Dale.
Best regards,
Olia. 

17 Jul 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

You �re welcome Olia! Have an excellent weekend!

17 Jul 2015     

chuppacricri
France

I would say she means her partner �s parents as he mentions their age and jobs later in the program.

19 Jul 2015