Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Describing someone ´s age    

Describing someone ´s age

you_per7
Algeria

Describing someone ´s age

Dear colleagues,

What is the best adjective to describe someone in his 50 �s ???
I am not sure if we can describe him as an old man or there are other adjectives for this age.
I �ll appreciate your comments  in advance.

11 Aug 2015      

Gi2gi
Georgia

They�re called middle-aged (at least in my culture).

11 Aug 2015     

EstherLee76
Peru

I agree with that.  We also try to avoid calling someone old.  People in their 60s and up are referred to as "senior citizens" or "elderly".

11 Aug 2015     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Giorgi and Esther. For people and pets, "old" is only used for very advanced age, and even then, we don �t use it often. It is considered offensive.

Bruce

11 Aug 2015     

you_per7
Algeria

Thanks a lot..Gi2gi...EstherLee76  and  yanogator

12 Aug 2015     

Apodo
Australia

You can say:
He is an older genetleman in his 50s.
We avoid �old � but there is a limit to how long one can be middle-aged (50+50 =100) and not so many of us will be 100  LOL

12 Aug 2015     

FrauSue
France

You can also make a noun out of his age - "He �s a 50-something" is fine, at least in British English.
Other options: He �s in his 50s; He �s nearing retirement; He �s in the prime of his life (this is a good euphemism for someone approaching retirement age); He �s a mature gentleman.

In reality, we often avoid making specific reference to age in order to avoid offence. Unless it �s really relevant to the context, just leave it out. 

24 Aug 2015