Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar map of the USA    

Grammar map of the USA

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Grammar map of the USA

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about the diversity of non-standard English. This is a map of speech in the USA by Yale uni. Fantastic piece of work!

http://microsyntax.sites.yale.edu/phenomena

21 Aug 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Thank you for sharing, Lynne.!

21 Aug 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Good to see this again, Lynne. My favourite is the Appalachian, "They ain �t no moonshiners here now. Ain �t nobody makes it.

– a fine example of multiple subjects, negative inversion and negative concord (I �m resisting the temptation to add "Yeeehah!").

22 Aug 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ Alex: Mmm, but no, you never resisted no temptation to say �Yeehah �. ;-) 

What I would like to know is whether anything similar has been done for UK speech and where I would find out?  
My favourite is kids (of Pakistani origin insofar as I know) who use �be �s � - I don �t know how you �d write it actually - , for a kind of constant present tense as in, �He be �s late, Miss, � meaning he is always late or �oh, he �s late again, of course �. I think they have a similar construction in Spanish to differentiate between a state and a one-off action. Interesting. 

22 Aug 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi Lynne,
Here �s something about the UK dialects but the focus is on phonetics. 

23 Aug 2015