Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Please, Chinese colleagues, help!    

Please, Chinese colleagues, help!

Effedi
United States

Please, Chinese colleagues, help!

Dear colleagues,

I will start this year in a school where classes are composed by a majority of Chinese students. I live in Italy and I teach English. It is my first experience of this kind and any help would be appreciated. I want to start in the best possible way and ensure to my students the best learning experience. Can you help please? Thank you in advance. I ask for help to Chinese colleagues or to anyone with a similar experience. I would really appreciate any help. 

31 Aug 2015      

ldeloresmoore
China

I live and teach in Beijing. All of my students are Chinese (with the VERY rare exception of other nationalities) -- If you are used to teaching Italians, please don �t think there will be a LOT of similarities. Chinese students are used to learning in a MUCH different way. Soooooooooo much of their education system is based on rote memorization. Their grammar frame of reference is a LOT different from Latin-based languages. I suggest looking for materials specifically designed for Chinese learners.  You can probably do some kind of search on this site and get a pretty good start.  Best of luck to you! 

31 Aug 2015     

Effedi
United States

Thank you for your answer. In fact, I have been looking for materials specifically designed for Chinese learners but I did not find any. For sure there is nothing in Italian. It would be ok anything in English...have you got any suggestions? Any titles? I have been looking on this site too...all I could find putting as keywords "Chinese students" were three worksheets in total and it is not enough for sure...

31 Aug 2015     

ldeloresmoore
China

I don , honey. I �m sorry. The only thing I have to offer is just the stuff I have created. And it was all created with my own Chinese students in mind. I wish I had more to tell you. 

1 Sep 2015     

ldeloresmoore
China

Here �s an idea ---- start a separate post to request communication with teachers in China. Ask for their favorite ideas for each level of learning.  I �m sure they will all have ideas you can use. Make a note of their names, and then look at the materials they have contributed. Since they are in China, I �m sure they have designed stuff with their own Chinese students in mind.   --- Your previous post says "Chinese colleagues" -- Well, almost nobody teaching English in China is actually Chinese. So you want to start a post that reaches out to "Teachers In China" 

1 Sep 2015     

heikeo53
Mexico

I don �t know if this is going to help you, but there are quite a few videos on YouTube, e.g. www.youtube/watch?v=feuFlyzqTyM.

1 Sep 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

As Ideloresmoore said chinese students learn differently.  this pdf has some advice, but unfortunately no worksheets or exercises..

1 Sep 2015     

Effedi
United States

Thanks a lor. I am so sorry I did not thank you before but I am currently moving in order to get nearer to the new School and I have to fix my Internet contract with the provider. You have been all so kind and precious! Thanks a lot!

3 Sep 2015