Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > lodging?!    

lodging?!

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

lodging?!

Hi, Is the letter d pronounced in the word "lodging" or is it silent? Thank you.

7 Sep 2015      

yanogator
United States

This will sound strange, but I would say that it is pronounced, but not in a way that the average person would notice. So, for simplicity, I would say that it isn �t really pronounced.

Bruce

7 Sep 2015     

Apodo
Australia

I would say it is pronounced. There is just a tiny touch of the tongue to the palate which blocks the airflow. It sounds incorrect if you don �t do that - to me anyway.

/ˈlɒdʒɪŋ/    correct

/ˈlɒ ʒɪŋ/   not correct

7 Sep 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

The j or soft g sound in English is an affricate, with the /dʒ / combination Apodo has in the middle of the "correct" pronunciation. The point of contact of the tongue is palatalized, further back in the mouth than the typical /d/, which is typically articulated in English on the alveolar ridge. The alveolar /d/ is not pronounced; the palatalized /d/ which is part of the "j" affricate is pronounced.

By the way, the voiceless equivalent is /tʃ /, the English "ch" sound. 

7 Sep 2015     

yanogator
United States

But, Apodo, my point was that the  /dʒ/  is the sound of the "g", so the d isn �t really pronounced.

Bruce

7 Sep 2015     

ldeloresmoore
China

I, too, think it is pronounced.  It �s almost like the sound of combining a D and a J together. 

7 Sep 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Wow, some very learned answers. Lodge. Haj. Same final sound. Make of that what you will. 

8 Sep 2015     

Daisee
Vietnam

8 Sep 2015     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot.

8 Sep 2015