Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP NEEDED!!!!     

HELP NEEDED!!!!

Jessisun
Argentina

HELP NEEDED!!!!

Hello, everybody!!! I need some advice. I work in a private English school and I �m the teacher coordinator...at school we have a teacher who has some problems with her class. We �re going to give her a kind of � teacher training session � tomorrow. She told me her issues...she has a problem with a class (young children between 8-10 years old)  which is very very reluctant to use English in class...she has done her best to encourage her students to use English in class, but she can �t make it.
Besides, she has some problems with classroom discipline in the classroom. Some students are very very disruptive and she loses control of the class.
Any suggestions for my workmate? How would you encourage students to use the language in a positive way?  
Thank you a bunch in advance!!!! :)
Warm regards,
                                       Jess 

17 Sep 2015      

kgsharpe
Canada

I have had this problem in the past usuually with new classes. One of the methods for improving classroom behavior and using English instead of their L1 is to make some sort of reward system. Class dojo is very helpful. You can award points or remove points as needed. The top two students will recieve a special gift at the end of the term or semester. I usually buy a transformer for the boys and some sort of doll for the girls. After the first time you will find they really care about losing points for no homework, bad class behaviour. One more good thing is there are certificates that you can print in colour and give the students from class dojo. Hope this helps

18 Sep 2015     

carrasclet
Spain

hi,
I have already had similar students, it is very depressing, I tried to attract their attention by doing group activities.
- before the lesson starts give them a piece of paper, without saying anything, they do not know what you are going to do so they will keep still till you excplain the exercise. after you explain that they have to write a story on the paper, you write some questions on the board -what �s your name?....   after that you explain that they will answer one question, cover it so as not to be seen and pass the piece of paper to the nearest student,  continuing the chain till the end of the questions, when everybody has answered they will read up the story, the majority of the times the results are pretty surprising and they not only enjoy because they have been par of the story but also because they understand the vocabulary as it is their own.
I hope it helps you.
good luck
núria 

18 Sep 2015     

tashaleks
Spain

I second the reward system, last year I had a simple star chart and each student earned their stars. I had a green board and a red board, i put the childrens names on the green board and moved them to the red if there were any problems, if they were on the green board for the whole of the lesson they earned a star.

This year I am doing something similar, but as a team. The whole class earns stars but it depends on everybody co-operating with each other. I am hoping that will encourage good behaviour as the reward is that their peers will be happy or annoyed, not just me.

As for using English, the same. Stars for using English in class. 

18 Sep 2015     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

If a student behaves not good, you can write his or her surname on the board without saying anything. If heshe behaves not good again you can write number 1 at the surname, then number 2. Sure, the student will be curious why you do it. Explain that when you write number 5, it will be a call to parents or a visit to the headmaster or something else (think what you can offer :) )

I did it last year with one of my groups. The punishment was to write a message to parents. It worked.

18 Sep 2015     

cbenglish
United States

I do not know the situation that this teacher is facing with her class, but from what i am reading here I think that a reward or punishment system is a good idea. If there is a serious problem however with disruptive students than there must be a parent/teacher meeting. The parents must be made aware of their child �s behavior and talk with the teacher. At such a young age, teaching is about more than sending kids to school all day. Parents must be involved and take responsibility and support the teacher. I know many teachers and schools may be reluctant to involve parents, but truthfully it is the best thing. Even if teacher or faculty have to meet the parents once a week, it is better than doing nothing or not communicating. From my own personal experience, students who excelled were typically ones that I had a good relationship with the parents. I wish everyone the best of luck with this situation and hope everything works out for the best.

18 Sep 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

With challenging behaviour, consistency is key. Adopt a reward/sanction system and STICK TO IT. Give praise whenever possible. Having distinct groups within a class can help. The green group, the red group etc... award points and have a weekly winning group. As for using the target language in class, let �s remember it �s so much easier for pupils to use L1 with each other. Start off with �English time �. 15 minutes or whatever when we all try to use English. We �ve all been there with this struggle! Good luck to her.

19 Sep 2015