Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > The whole year activity/competition for breakes - any ideas?    

The whole year activity/competition for breakes - any ideas?

andiks
Czech Republic

The whole year activity/competition for breakes - any ideas?

Dear colleagues,

last year I organized the Big Sherlock Holmes Game, it was like a scavenger hunt which went on the whole year. Students were given two clues (on the noticeboard, e. g. "You need me when it �s cold but you can �t use me here" - we have a paper fireplace at school) to help them find a task, sometimes it was a wordsearch, a magazine article with a few questions, a riddle, ... After solving the task they brought me the paper and the solution, so no one else could take part. Every week I wrote down who finished the task and at the end of the term the best students were given a prize.
It was a very favourite activity and the student kept asking if "the Sherlock" was soon on the noticeboard again. I am sure they spent nice time during their breakes doing something meaningful. Now I don �t know if I should continue with the same competition or if I should invent something completely new. My students are 15-19 years old and they study tourism and IT.
What do you think about it? Is there anyone who does something similar? 

2 Oct 2015      

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Well, I haven �t done anything like that, but what about something like a journey around the world. For students of tourism it might be useful and attractive at the same time.

2 Oct 2015     

andiks
Czech Republic

Do you mean to keep the basic idea of the scavenger hunt and focus on tourism? The problem is the students mostly don �t like travelling and aren �t much interested in sights or natural wonders... 

2 Oct 2015     

s.lefevre
Brazil

They study tourism,but they don �t like to travel??? Perhaps Martina �s idea stimulates them to get  interested in travelling. If they don �t like natural wonders, focus on other things about different countries ( food, traditions, landmarks...)

3 Oct 2015     

maryse pey�
France

Why don �t make them prepare some leaflets, like the ones you can find in the travel agencies, about the curiosities of your country, then about some other countries they would have chosen ?

They would have to choose some photos, some articles from differeent sites, information from books and so on.

And the reward will be to publish these leaflets on the school site ?

This may be a team work ?

3 Oct 2015     

andiks
Czech Republic

We make these leaflets, sometimes the students work on their own, sometimes in teams. The point is I need an activity for breakes between lessons to keep the students busy and make them use their free time meaningfully. So I need something simple that takes a few minutes to solve. I will probably keep the scavanger hunt concept.

4 Oct 2015