Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed on listening comprehension activity    

Help needed on listening comprehension activity

NanG
Argentina

Help needed on listening comprehension activity

Hi Everyone!

I need some help on this.

I �m checking a listening comprehension activity in which the recording says :

"The beaches were fantastic. There were many people at all"      ( It doesn �t say " weren �t ")

And one of the options of the True and False activity is: 

"There were a lot of people on the beaches."

Now, my question is : Is this True or False?  

As far as I understand it should be False.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Nancy 

2 Oct 2015      

12bprecise
Mexico

It should say, "There weren �t many people at all." You can �t use "at all" with a positive statement. In natural pronunciation, "weren �t" would sound almost the same as "were." At the end of words, we pronounce "t" in the throat (with the glottis). You can �t hear it very easily. We would use the context to figure out whether it �s positive or negative. It �s false. If the beaches are fantastic, it �s because there weren �t many people.

3 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi Nancy,

12b is right and I sympathise because it �s a tough one.

It will sound almost EXACTLY as if the speaker is saying �were � and only the context/logic will help. Both the �n � and the �t � are lost. The vowel sound after the �w � is slightly longer than it would be if the speaker were saying �were � and probably the tone is a little higher and that should tell you that a negative is being emphasised, even if it doesn �t sound like one otherwise. Technically (if you �re interested!) it �s called glottalization. You can Google it.

Have a look at page 120 of �Transcribing the Sound of English: A Phonetics Workbook for Words and Discourse � By Paul Tench, section 7.103 "We weren �t coming"

Tench quote 

The best beaches are empty beaches... :-)

Tap

3 Oct 2015     

NanG
Argentina

Thank you very much for yor help !!! 

3 Nov 2015