Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Airdrop and bluetooth in the classroom    

Airdrop and bluetooth in the classroom

Jayho
Australia

Airdrop and bluetooth in the classroom

Hi everyone

I use smartphones extensively in my adult classroom but I have a question about iPhones (because I don�t have one and 20% of the class does).

It is easy for students to share photos on android and windows phones using bluetooth.

But, bluetooth works differently on iPhones. And it seems Airdrop is the sharing medium for iOS products. 

These are my questions:

a) does Airdrop require WiFi access?

b) can iPhone students share photos / weblinks with other iPhone students using Airdrop?

c) Can iPhone students share photos / weblinks with android/windows phone students using Airdrop?

d) is there an alternative sharing method between iPhone and android/windows phone that is direct from one device to another that doesn�t require internet access?

Thanks, and cheers

Jayho

10 Oct 2015      

Tapioca
United Kingdom

a) does Airdrop require WiFi access?
Airdrop uses Bluetooth to find other users to share with and then looks for a wifi network to share stuff. If there isn �t a convenient wifi, it will send stuff using Bluetooth, though that is slower and less sure.

b) can iPhone students share photos / weblinks with other iPhone students using Airdrop?
Photos, yes. That �s exactly what it �s intended to do. Weblinks also, though you could also consider a group SMS  - for iPhone to iPhone this does not use the telephone carrier if the users have access to a wifi network or have a data allowance, so it �s either free or �kind of free � in the sense that it only uses data. To use Airdrop, you need to have an iPhone 5 or later. More about Airdrop here.

c) Can iPhone students share photos / weblinks with android/windows phone students using Airdrop?
As far as I know, no they can �t (Airdrop is designed for Apple devices and Android phones use a different mehtod/system), but there are apps that both can download that they can use as alternatives. Have a look at this page.

d) is there an alternative sharing method between iPhone and android/windows phone that is direct from one device to another that doesn´t require internet access?
Yes, that page I mentioned above allows each phone, whether iPhone or Android to set up a kind of mini wifi network from the phone itself, which, as long as the devices are close to each other, allows them to share stuff.

You could also look at an app called Zapya for both Android and iPhones.

Hope that helps! Maybe you could set it as an exercise for your class, to research and then write a set of clear instructions on how to use one of these methods?

Tap

11 Oct 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Tap

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers

Jayho

14 Oct 2015