Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What IS it with this gap before the apostrophe??    

What IS it with this gap before the apostrophe??

Tapioca
United Kingdom

What IS it with this gap before the apostrophe??

It �s driving me mad! Someone please tell me there �s a way to delete the extra space the message board adds before the apostrophe. Do you have to switch off HTML formatting or something?

Is it a font thing?

It �s (Arial)
It �s (Comic sans)
It �s (Tahoma)

16 Oct 2015      

LinguaPirot
Serbia

It �s not a font thing. There is no extra space in MS Word, for example. 
It could be a default formatting on this site only. 
Let �s see again: 
It´s (Arial)
It´s (Comic sans)
It´s (Tahoma)

16 Oct 2015     

LinguaPirot
Serbia

Interesting... I copied the text, deleted the spacing, and it remained that way. Comic sans turned into times, though.. :)
But, yes, definitely a site thing. Persists despite the fact I removed all formatting: It �s, They �re, I �ve.... 

16 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

testing...
It´s STRANGE (paste from simple text)
It �s BIZARRE (pasted then deleted and inserted again)
It"s JUST PLAIN WEIRD
It*s an asterisk
It`s some weird symbol on my keyboard that I have never used before but it also looks like an apostrophe

16 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Okay I did some digging and it might be a regional/language setting on the website which has been set to French instead of UK/US/International English. Victor is Spanish, isn*t he?

16 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Test 3:

Don �t use �it �s � with an apostrophe or you �ll find yourself with extra spaces.

16 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Well that theory bit the dust. There are apostrophes without the extra spaces in the FAQ section. I am pasting the first one in here to see what happens:

FAQ – Why haven’t I got any points?

The points from your uploaded worksheet take 2 days.  Wait two days and you’ll have the points.  Be patient the points will come.

16 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

It’s an "it �s" but the apostrophe is copied from the FAQ text in the first one.

It �s in Verdana Size 2 10pt

16 Oct 2015     

LinguaPirot
Serbia

checking regional settings:
ENGLISH keyboard It�s an "it �s"
SERBIAN latin keyboard It�s an "it �s"

edit: all the same here..

So, when typing, it is "It�s" but it is displayed as "it �s"... the apostrophe is changed by the site default, which is familiar to the site web master... I tried to find it in the elements, but am not competent enough :)

for Chrome, select the text you are interested, right click and go to "inspect elements" for more details, e.g.:

ENGLISH keyboard It�s an "it �s"

span font size for regular apostrophe is 10pt, but it is 13.333 for the default ï¿½.. just enough for a double spacing? who knows.. not competent enough :)

��������������������������������������

16 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi LinguaPirot,

Thank you so much for checking! It �s weird isn �t it, that you can paste in an apostrophe which works, but cannot type one without the space. It must be some kind of language setting for the website.

I can see it has been made with Microsoft FrontPage 6.0 but I cannot see any issues with it related to this problem.

One thing I did notice was that the "you �ll" which displayed correctly at the beginning for the FAQs actually was a plain "youll" without any apostrophe, so it has been autocorrected.

I wonder if its smart enough to autocorrect this on its own? I somehow doubt it. :-))

16 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

This is a page which describes a similar problem in Outlook, but given it �s a Microsoft product, maybe FrontPage has similar settings:

Apostrophe & quotation marks are inserted with extra spaces
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/email/marks-are-inserted-with-extra-spaces/

Interesting what it says about French punctuation rules. Does anyone know if in French, a space is required before an apostrophe?

16 Oct 2015     

1    2    Next >