Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Rhetorical questions in Academic IELTS written exam    

Rhetorical questions in Academic IELTS written exam

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Rhetorical questions in Academic IELTS written exam

Hi all

Can I please ask those of you who teach Academic IELTS a question - is it permissible  to use rhetorical questions in the written exam? (My course book - Focus on IELTS by Sue O �Connell advises it, however I �ve seen conflicting advice on various internet sites etc.)

Thanks as always for your help and thanks to Victor for making such an amazing site available to us!

Terri 

19 Oct 2015      

ldeloresmoore
China

I �m going to say definitely YES. 

I recently helped write an IELTS prep manual for one of the largest IELTS prep companies in China.  In our curriculum, we methodically teach students how to employ such devices to make their point when writing a position essay.

Additionally, we teach them, step by step, how to identify various devices -- including this one -- in various texts, and to then explain why the writer used that particular device, the writer �s desired effect, and then analyze whether or not the writer was successful and why/why not.

19 Oct 2015     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Thanks ideloresmoore.  I must say the prep manual you mentioned sounds quite interesting - is it available to the general public?

20 Oct 2015     

ldeloresmoore
China

Unfortunately, no.  It is very proprietary. In fact, it is so proprietary that even we foreigners who helped write it don �t have access to the full document. Only the portions we helped write and edit.  I have the 6 or so chapters that I helped create, but that �s about all.  I was working for New Oriental at the time (and still do some freelance for them from time to time).  

20 Oct 2015     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

That �s a shame - oh well, I �d better press on with what I �ve got.

Thanks again!!!!! 

20 Oct 2015