Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

gharbi2009
Tunisia

help

what do we call a writing exercise in which you provide learners with a lay-out to follow?

20 Oct 2015      

ceciliaq
Argentina

Hi! It �s called Guided Writing, a type of exercise which is temporary and developed especially for young learners. It helps them to have some kind of control over their strategies for writing. Also, it �s an exercise followed by most coursebooks for young learners. 

21 Oct 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

thanks for your explanation but what I meant is providing pupils with a skeleton for writing. That is something like a road map to follow. Instead of giving them arguments or details, we merely suggest the topic and let them find their own arguments.

21 Oct 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A writing frame.

21 Oct 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

thanks cunliffe! that �s the word I �m looking for. Is it correct to say "skeleton framework?

21 Oct 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi gharbi. I haven �t heard that, but it would be understood. I would say � a basic writing frame � or �a detailed writing frame. �  

21 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Why not post an example?

Do you mean something like this?

Skeleton has associations with death, so it �s a word I �d avoid by choice :-)

Framework is either large if countable, or is uncountable, so a framework doesn �t seem to fit what you �re describing.

Skeleton framework (to me) seems to say the same thing twice, but if you like it and your students understand it, use it.

Other suggestions:
  • writing shell
  • writing guide
  • structured guide
  • writing blueprint

21 Oct 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Here an example Tap:  writing a contrast paragraph:

X and Y differ in many ways. One of the main differences between them is that X......................whereas Y................................ Unlike X (which / who)...................................................., Y.................................................... While X................................, Y.............................................
Instead of providing students with arguments or details, we give them a writing frame and let them find their own arguments or details. I tried it and it is very encouraging for low achievers who fear making a lot of mistakes. After all, even for us teachers, we can read something which is legible

21 Oct 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Lovely, Tapioca! However, I didn �t post an example as I think that meaningful writing frames are based on the specific subject to be addressed. Generic writing frames are not that helpful (in my humble experience). Check rubistar for generic writing frames.

Edit: On second thoughts, I don�t like that response, Tapioca. 

And skeleton is often used without referring to death. Why not give an example? A skeleton crew. 
And here are alternative definitions of skeleton this and that:
2. supporting structure or framework, as of a building.
3. An outline or sketch.
4. Something reduced to its basic or minimal parts.

21 Oct 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Dear Cunliffe! Should we care much about theory? what we should care about is to figure out that anything we try in class and proves to be fruitful is our objective.

21 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi Gharbi,

I understand now what you mean. When I see the word "layout" I tend to think of physical position on a page. Your example is pretty detailed and I can see it would be useful in the case you describe. And, as you say, much less likely to make you want to pull your hair out when reading the students � work. :-))

Hi Cunliffe,

Thanks for the Rubistar link - you use those for teaching EAP?

The example I pasted (from a TES worksheet) wasn �t intended as a suggestion for Gharbi - I just wanted to understand what kind of template he was using - plus I thought that one might be useful for that workshop Gharbi is going to give a speech at :-))

I �m sorry you didn �t like my cute framed kitty :-(. It �s clear they got the wrong suspect.

Homemade Tapioca Pudding | Serious Eats http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/homemade-tapioca-pudding-recipe.html

nom nom nom

Tap

21 Oct 2015