Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > match - game    

match - game

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

match - game

Hi,

I am very confused . I couldn �t find a clear difference between a game and a match to teach them to students , level 10.

Can you tell me the difference ?

Thanks a lot
:) 

24 Oct 2015      

parsland
Iran

There are good explanations in dictionaries , if you see a good dictionary , you will find your answer. 

24 Oct 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Pretty 3

I had to think about this one.  It�s not clear cut.

I did a bit of a google and I think that these sites explain it nicely.

And this extract, relevant to tennis, comes from this page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/sport/tennis/index.shtml

Alice, China
what is the difference between a [tennis] game and a match? what is the difference between a game and a set? Thank you.

BBC Learning English says: A MATCH is divided up in to SETS and sets are divided up in to GAMES. In men �s tennis a player normally has to get 3 sets to win a match. In women �s tennis you have to get 2. To win a set you have to win 6 games - but you also have to get 2 more games than the other player. If the score gets to 6-6, the players have to play a "tiebreak". The first player to get to seven points or more by two clear points wins the tiebreak and the set. To win a game you need to win four points, but if the players win 3 points each, the score is 40-40 and one of the players has to win 2 extra points to win the game!

This is interesting also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv74.shtml

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Jayho

24 Oct 2015