Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it correct?    

Is it correct?

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Is it correct?

I would like to know if "to succeed an exam" is correct. I know "to pass an exam" or "to exceed in an exam". My colleague and I disagree about the use of the preposition with "succeed". Thanks for your help beforehand.

24 Oct 2015      

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi, gharbi,

you can succeed in anything, including an exam; Although it would sound more natural to say I succeeded in passing my exams/ I did well in my exam;

As for exceed in an exam - this is not something you would normally use,

exceed means to go beyond a quantity
e.g. My costs exceeded my income this month; I am completly broke;

or excel/outdo somebody/ surpass something
You�ve passed your exams with flying colors, you�ve exceeded everyone �s expectations :) 

Giorgi 

24 Oct 2015     

joannajs
Poland

Definitely incorrect. "Succeed in an exam" is ok. By the way: "pass an exam" is right, but "exceed in an exam" is incorrect (exceed meand to cross, overspend, so it does not make sense), "succeed in an exam " would be ok.

for more on succeed which usually goes with "in" or a noun look here:

www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionarybritish/succeed

best,

joanna 

24 Oct 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Thanks Joanna. I �m grateful.

24 Oct 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Hi Giorgi!
Thanks a bunch for your help. Considering your explanation, "succeed in" means "manage to", am I right?

24 Oct 2015     

yanogator
United States

"succeed in" is similar to "manage to", but a little stronger. If you manage to do something, it implies that your success was uncertain until it was accomplished.

I managed to find a job after being unemployed since January 30.

To succeed in doing something doesn �t imply anything about the path to the success.

Bruce 

24 Oct 2015