Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Newspaper reading activities    

Newspaper reading activities

Jayho
Australia

Newspaper reading activities

Hi everyone

BBC British Council have published a great article on using newspapers in the classroom.

Maybe it is of use to some of you.

Cheers

Jayho

28 Oct 2015      

EstherLee76
Peru

It IS great.  Thanks for sharing!

28 Oct 2015     

elderberrywine
Germany

Brilliant ideas. Thank you so much for sharing, Jayho.

28 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

I try to send a bunch of headlines and links to my students every week or so, aiming to cover their various interests, and I leave it up to them which (if any) they choose to read and discuss in class, but there are some good ideas here which might encourage them a bit more to take the extra step.The presentations idea might seem a little conventional, but I like it. I think I might try this now and change it from �optional � to �strongly encouraged � :-))

I am always in two minds about newspaper articles - they �re brief, contemporary and accessible but they are also full of language and writing style that is very specific to news print media. It makes them less easy to understand and tending to teach words that might be less useful in every day language use - particularly headlines, which in British newspapers rely heavily on compressed, telegraphic phrases, unusual grammar and a vocabulary that is dependent on (short) word length.

But they �re such a useful source that �s relevant right now (as opposed to when our coursebook was originally published), that we should use them more and your post has encouraged me to do just that!

Thanks for sharing Jayho!

Tap

28 Oct 2015