Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which is correct to say    

which is correct to say

slavchik
Russian Federation

which is correct to say

i came to live here two months ago. so, I have lived here for two months or I have been living here for two month. Explain please!

12 Nov 2015      

tulka
Slovenia

I have lived here for two months. - stressed the fact that this has been true UPTIL NOW
I have been living here for two months. - stresses the fact that you �re staying here (your living here continues) 

So, both are correct, but the first option offers a possibility that you �re moving away :) 

12 Nov 2015     

yanogator
United States

I don �t quite agree with tulka �s answer. You could say "I have been living here for two months, but I just got transferred to Germany, so I will b e moving soon".

The sentences are both correct, but they have a slightly different emphasis. The first is a simple statement of information. The second one, as continuous tenses usually do, draws attention to a process over time.

Bruce 

12 Nov 2015     

seansarto
United States

My feelings about the subtle difference between present perfect and present perfect continuous is whether you are discussing the completion of time or action..With present perfect or present perfect continuous you can discuss the amount of time completed UP UNTIL NOW (i.e. "I have lived here for two months" or "I have been living here for two months") They both are only referring completed TIME doing an action.....BUT if you want to discuss completed actions UP UNTIL NOW you can only use present perfect. (i.e "I have seen that movie twice).

12 Nov 2015     

douglas
United States

Generally, I teach that the present continuous in this case leaves a feeling of temporariness, whereas the present perfect has a more permanent feeling.

Note: It �s just a feeling, it �s not determining.

13 Nov 2015