Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > floor/storey/    

floor/storey/

nemomen
Romania

floor/storey/

Hi guys!
I need to know if I can say a two-floor house or just a two-storey house. Is the first term correct or not?Please  help:)
Thank you!!!

21 Nov 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi there, it �s two storeys. You don �t hear it often, as most houses are two storey houses. I have got a three-storey house. I bought a house with three floors so I could get some peace from my mother and my sons. Since then, my mother has died and my sons have left home. 

Edit: this is in British English.

21 Nov 2015     

nemomen
Romania

Thank you!!! Sorry to hear that:(

21 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Hi, nemomen. Around where I live in Glasgow, most of the buildings are four-storey tenements � exactly like the one in the picture below. I used to live on the top, or third floor of one of these (in British English, we start from the �ground� floor, then the first...etc).

Alex 

21 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

As cunliffe said, the most common term used in Standard English is "two-storey" house.

But if you need to know whether "two-floor house" is �correct � in terms of its grammar or vocabulary, then I would say that it is correct, but rarely used.This Google Ngram illustrates the usage of the two terms.

If one of your students used that term, then you �d need to explain that while it is not actually wrong and most people would understand it, it would be more useful to learn the more widely-used phrase "two-storey house".

It is confusing, because if you asked a question about a house, I think a native speaker would be more likely to ask "How many floors does your house have?" than "How many storeys does your house have?"

It could be that when we use �storey � we are thinking of the construction of a building and how many �volumes � it contains, which is a little technical, whereas �floor � seems to be a word we use in a more specific sense to talk about a habitable or usable area within a building. That �s why Alex talked about which floor he lived on, but talked about the tenement building as having four storeys.

Interesting question! :-)

Tap

21 Nov 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �m chiming in with the American perspective. We use both two-floor and two-story (no e) house almost interchangeably. I think we favor floor a bit because when we go on elevators (lifts to the Brits, I believe?), we almost always talk about the floors, not stories.

21 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

I didn�t know that the US spelling of �storey� was different. That�s interesting.

Apologies for going a bit off-topic Nemomen, but I wonder if, when they say: �There are eight million stories in the naked city� at the end of the 1948 movie �The Naked City� (set in New York), there might be a bit of word play there, do you think? Skyscrapers are a strong visual and metaphorical element in the film.

Clip for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zI7weKj9oU

I�m going to ask some friends in the States about the two-floor vs. two-story house now. :-)

Tap

21 Nov 2015     

yanogator
United States

I �m more likely to say that I live in a two-story house, or that my house has two floors.

Bruce 

21 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Thanks Bruce, that makes it 50/50 so far on your side of the water. Any other Americans want to enter the fray so we can get a consensus? :-)

21 Nov 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

Even American English is not monolithic. I believe Bruce is from California (correct me if I �m wrong), and I �m from North Carolina. It �s quite possible that there is a difference of dialect between us. Since there �s no defined American equivalent to RP, usage varies from region to region,

21 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

I wanted to ask exactly that, but didn �t like to pry :-)) Thank you! We need a New Yorker now and maybe someone from the mid-West?

21 Nov 2015     

1    2    Next >