Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is the difference between...    

What is the difference between...

VeronicaCool
France

What is the difference between...

Hello guys,

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between these two sentences?

1) Six people make the Committee. 
2) Six people make up the Committee.

Thank you for your help.  

21 Nov 2015      

SVieira
Portugal

Hello, Veronica.

Native speakers will probably be the best to tell you about the difference, but what I think each one means is:
 1) Six people make the Committee = Six people decide who will be a part of the Committee, six people decide who will be included in the Committee.
2) Six people make up the Committee. = Six people (these specific six people) are part of the Committee, the Committee consists of these six people.

But as I �ve said, there may be any other issue I am not seeing now, so listen to other members � suggestions. 

Sandra 

21 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

SVierira is right. I would add that in certain situations, there could be a different meaning for the first option for example, 
�There are many people in the club, but only 6 people make the committee � could mean only 6 manage to get on the committee. And �make it to the committee � would be better. Worth mentioning?

21 Nov 2015     

VeronicaCool
France

Thank you.

22 Nov 2015