Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > comparatives and superlatives     

comparatives and superlatives

imaginarykid
Turkey

comparatives and superlatives

Hello! Sometimes adjectives can take both "-er" and " more in the comparative form and I can �t decide which one is correct for that adjectives. Is there a simple way to differintiate them?

22 Nov 2015      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Have a look at the explanations and discussion here

22 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

That �s an interesting discussion Sophia, thanks for the link. I �ve become quite a fan of the English section on Stack Exchange since Jayho pointed it out. They also have some good rules about what and how to post (or not) and to reply.

IK, this is a brief summary from p140 Cambridge English Prepare! Level 4 Student �s Book by James Styring & Nicholas Tims in case you don �t have time to read through the whole discussion in Sophia �s link (though you should try to do that - it �s very informative).

22 Nov 2015     

kohai
Latvia

Tapioca,
Aren�t  there 2 syllables (and ending -y!) in both adjectives �funny� and �friendly�? Until today I thought it�s normal to use �friendlier� as well as �funnier�...

22 Nov 2015     

yanogator
United States

"Friendlier/friendliest" is more common in the US than "more/ the most friendly".

Bruce 

22 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

LOL Bruce. We had this discussion about a month ago and I got snarky about it. Feels like deja vue :-))

@Kohai - one of the great things about English is that it�s a flexible and forgiving language much of the time, so you get to choose things like friendlier or more friendly and funnier or more funny. I personally use "more friendly" and "funnier". Probably just because they sound better to me. I also think that if I�m speaking so someone who is not a native speaker, I prefer "more + adjective" as it may be easier to hear/comprehend? Grammar books do differ on stuff like this. I call this a "soft rule" with my students. There are a LOT of them in English! :-)

23 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No snarkiness please  - I would say that �friendlier � is the more common (not commoner) term in my neck of the woods as well (England), but neither term would scare the horses.  

23 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

All under control here! :-))

23 Nov 2015     

imaginarykid
Turkey

Thanks for the answers:))

23 Nov 2015     

imaginarykid
Turkey

Link is really good. This is a confusing topic as ı see. Everybody has a question about it

23 Nov 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

two-syllable adjectives ending in -y , -le, -ow and -er can be used both short and long.

23 Nov 2015