Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > AND or OR?    

AND or OR?

customer
Italy

AND or OR?

Dear colleagues,

I was wondering...

1. I don �t eat fruit or vegetables.
2. I eat fruit and vegetables. 

But what if the sentence has NEVER in it? Should I follow the same rule as the first sentence?  That is 

I never eat fruit or vegetables 

The structure is positive, but not the meaning... 

Thanks a lot for your help,
Chiara 

25 Nov 2015      

Teacher Maira
Brazil

Hello, Customer.

Could you use NOR or NEITHER or AND and OR are the only options? Because they sound better to me. I don �t eat fruit, neither vegetables. I never eat fruit, neither vegetables.

25 Nov 2015     

douglas
United States

I never eat fruit nor vegetables.  (probably must "correct")

I never eat fruit or vegetables. (Probably most commonly used)

I never eat fruit and vegetables.  (This could be understood as you don �t eat them together as a single dish, but perhaps you do eat them separately).

25 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with Douglas, although I haven �t heard �nor � for a long time - it seems to be well on its way out. 

25 Nov 2015     

customer
Italy

Thanks a lot for your help!!

25 Nov 2015     

alien boy
Japan

I eat neither fruit nor vegetables.�

� �I never eat fruit or vegetables� to me means that you don�t eat either fruit or vegetables,�separately or together. �I never eat fruit and vegetables� has the same meaning to me, even though this could be debated in logic.
�I never eat fruit with vegetables� means that you don�t eat them together, but�would eat them separately.

25 Nov 2015