Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help >     

Gi2gi
Georgia

27 Nov 2015      

almaz
United Kingdom

Something very relevant from another Lynne (the linguist Lynne Murphy � she was discussing BrEng. anticlockwise v AmEng. counterclockwise):

"In BrE the second syllable of anti-clockwise is pronounced like tea. Americans often (but not always) pronounce anti- with a second syllable like tie, which can help in distinguishing it from ante-. Some discussion of the variation in AmE pronunciation of anti- can be found here. For me, it �s partly on a word-by-word basis: �tea � in anticlimax, but �tie � in anti-Communist. I think if I form a new word with it (say, if I �m anti-pigeon), I �d pretty regularly use �tie �. But that �s what I think. And we �re all pretty bad rememberers of what we do say and we �re often bad judges of what we would say. So, unless someone records me unawares saying antipigeon, we may never know..."

You can find the full post here.

And the link to the discussion within the quote is here

EDIT: in case anyone is wondering, the original post was about British and American pronunciations of the prefix anti�. Completely innocuous, so I have no idea why the OP wanted to delete it, but I thought there might be enough interest in the topic that it was worth retaining it.

Alex 

27 Nov 2015     

yanogator
United States

Thanks for the discussion, Alex. I think it �s case-by-case for me, too. Of course, it doesn �t come up in anti-clockwise over here, because we say "counterclockwise".

Bruce

29 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

I thought you might be interested, Bruce. I�ve been a great fan of Ms Murphy�s blog for many years now. "Separated by a Common Language" is a must for anyone who�s interested in the differences between the two varieties. It�s also a great corrective to the chauvinistic attitudes you find on both sides of the pond.

Ben Yagoda�s entertaining and informative NOOBS (Not One-Off Britishisms) is also worth a wee detour for its observations about Britishisms which have crept into the US (particularly the media � Yagoda is a professor of journalism).

29 Nov 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Interesting ...

We down here at the bottom of the world always pronounce anti as tea.  And we would probably have to really think about it if someone says counter clockwise.

I thought the thing about follow-on (and range, too) very interesting. That�s typical usage here.

Cheers

Jayho

29 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

I had no idea that follow-on had a cricketing origin (cricket isn�t a particularly popular sport in Scotland), so it didn�t surprise me to learn that it was a fairly common expression in Australia.

29 Nov 2015