Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which verbs have a stronger meaning than the other equivalents    

which verbs have a stronger meaning than the other equivalents

gharbi2009
Tunisia

which verbs have a stronger meaning than the other equivalents

In our textbook, students are given an extract from a thesaurus page and asked to determine which verbs have a stronger meaning than the other equivalents. here is the extract:

invent- Syn. devise, discover, create, find, fashion, form, fabricate, design, plan, frame, project, scheme, carry out, imagine, simulate, visualize, fancy, conceive.
How can I decide which goes with which and which is stronger than the other? ( by the way, an example was given and the easiest one as usual in textbooks: fancy has stronger meaning than imagine)

27 Nov 2015      

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi Gharbi,

I am really struggling to understand what the textbook author intended with this exercise.

I must be missing something but how does fancy as a verb have a �stronger � meaning than imagine?

It really doesn �t make sense to me at all. Would you be able to take an actual photograph of the page and post it?

Thanks,

Tap

27 Nov 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

hi Tap!

this is what is written on the page word for word:
2. Study this extract from a thesaurus page then determine which verbs have stronger meaning than the other equivalents. Follow the example: fancy has a stronger meaning than imagine.
Invent-Syn ( the list I posted before).
Thanks for your time and consideration

27 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Wow, maybe my brain is not working properly, but I still don �t understand what �a stronger meaning � is. What did you understand by it?

Does she mean which words are closest to each other in meaning? So, then perhaps the most common or closest synonyms of �invent � might be devise, create, design, and conceive.

Tap

28 Nov 2015     

yanogator
United States

Tap, it confuses me, too. Like you, I think closest in meaning might be what is intended, but I don �t think this is a very useful exercise. I would say that "find" is the "weakest" (using our interpretation) synonym for "invent". I barely consider it a synonym at all.

Bruce

28 Nov 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

thanks Tap and Bruce for your help.

After all, a textbook isn �t a sacred book and we often find confusing tasks in them. I �m going to change the task by providing contexts in which these verbs can be used and how close they are in meaning 

29 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

That sounds like a good plan! :-)

Also, by using the word �closer (in meaning) rather than �stronger �, you could maybe draw the relationships graphically on the board, with a circle around the key word and the other words literally closer to the key word or farther away from it (or even outside the �circle of meaning �).

It will help them to understand that a list in a Thesaurus must be treated with some caution and that not all words are �equal �, which I think was the original intention of the exercise. :-)

Tap

29 Nov 2015     

yanogator
United States

Great suggestion, Tap. A "visual thesaurus" like that can be very useful in class.

Bruce 

29 Nov 2015