Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > rewrite    

rewrite

[email protected]
Spain

rewrite

Hi everybody!
I am marking exams  and I have got a question in the following rewrite:
1. Do you want to eat out tonight?
Would ...........................................?
I wanted my students to write: Would you like to eat out tonight?, but some of therm have written: 
Would you eat out tonight? 
Shall I give them half a point? a point? I want to be fair.
Thanks 

30 Nov 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I �m dead soft, so I would give them some credit. It makes perfect sense...The meaning is clear, although it �s slightly different. Both are polite enquiries... The �would you eat� might more usually take an �if clause� with it... �Would you eat out tonight if I paid?� Btw, in my neck of the woods, we would say �Do you fancy eating out tonight? �
That little phrase is music to my ears. 

30 Nov 2015     

[email protected]
Spain

thanks a lot

30 Nov 2015     

mjpa
Spain

Have you explained them this structure in the lessons? Have they worked on it? Then, their answer is incorrect. If you haven´t, if you have just included it in the exam by chance, but it´s not something you have worked on before, then just give them half punctuation. 
My opinion. 

30 Nov 2015     

yanogator
United States

Fed-up wife to aggravating husband: Would you eat out tonight?

Brice  

30 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

@ Bruce: Love it!!

That�s a tough one. I was going to say give them a whole point because it�s a grammatical and possible answer, but in fact your example says "Do you want to", so it�s about personal wishes.

If we take another example, maybe the difference would be clearer:

�Would you like to wear these shoes?� ---> �Do you want to wear these shoes?�

�Would you wear these shoes?�
---> �Please wear these shoes� OR �If you knew all your fashionista frenemies were going to be at this party, you wouldn�t even consider wearing those!�

Of course, in the real world, a lot depends on the tone of voice and the context, so you can create scenarios in which �Would you go out for a meal?� might be (kind of) equivalent to �Do you want to go out for a meal?� but I think �would you + verb� is more useful as a request to do something than as an alternative to making an offer or a question about your wishes.

As Bruce suggested, if someone asked me �Would you eat out tonight?" I think my reply wouldn�t be �Oh yeah, that sounds great, thanks!� but �Why? Are you sick of my company?�

So maybe half a mark? Raises a useful teaching point for a follow-up.

Tap

1 Dec 2015     

[email protected]
Spain

thank you for your comments. I´d like to know what the coordinator of this kind of exams would say

1 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

She �d probably say "Drat, I didn �t think of that answer! Now I �ll have to issue a supplementary note to all the examiners for that mark scheme!"

For international tests, questions like that are pre-tested so you are less likely to get unexpected responses that are not on the mark scheme, but if you are writing a test in-house, we are all human, we have limited time and we can �t think of all the ingenious possibilities that go through our students � minds :-p

Tap

1 Dec 2015