Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > teaching small kids ( esl) about tenses    

teaching small kids ( esl) about tenses

lazzy
Vietnam

teaching small kids ( esl) about tenses

Hi guys I am teaching some 3rd grade classes and we are now dealing with the simple present. I myself found it is hard for the kids to understand/ remember the rules( when add s/es, why?)and the place of adverbs of frequency. Moreover we also have to deal with like/ love/ enjoy +Ving, want to+V. And some of the students keep adding s/es to the adv of freq or to yhe second verb. I know if we teaching them just the way all the grammar books do,it is ok- keep repeating the rules will help them remember. But i want to find out a fun/ interesting way like telling them a story or a silly story so that they can remember faster and easier to understand. U guys have any ideas for that?

4 Dec 2015      

rockthevinyl
United States

One teacher I know refers to He/She/It as the 3 Musketeers to remind them to put the �s � in Present Simple.  I thought it was a cute way to remember it.

4 Dec 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

We play this game "Calling Sam":

They are all "Sam" when we play the game, girls and boys, doesn �t matter. Each of them has a card with something they like (doesn0t have to be true, you can prepare those in advance): 
playing cards
playing football
collecting stickers
meeting friends

or just

pizza
chocolate etc.

You have a card too, so that you can start:

I like watching TV, Sam likes (playing chess).
 The child with the card saying playing chess  "calls" the next one by saying

I like (playing chess), Sam likes (swimming).

Everybody has to listen for mistakes, because the child that makes a mistake is eliminated from the game, or better, keeps playing the game, but gets penalty points.

In the version with the penalty points (which I prefer), the one with three of them gets a task to do. Or whatever you decide.

Be careful to explain the rules about the -s carefuly again before you play or even better, write it on the board with huge letters.

Hope it helps, best wishes 

5 Dec 2015     

lazzy
Vietnam

Here is what I try to do with the kids but i think it is not as perfect as  I wish, so plz hepl me
I ask them to think about the food they like ( normally they choose pizza)
I draw a big pizza in the board and I ask them to think that now I want to MAKE a pizza, So I like a ( example beef pizza with slot of cheese and no onions) And I make it, Is it good for me?
Of course the answer is yes, When I make the pizza for myself, It is all good for me. Then I explain that If the pizza is the VERB, Then I will not add anything to the pizza as the verb in this case stay the same ( not adding anything)
And then now I want  James to make a pizza for me, does he know what types of pizza do I like? => No. So he just makes one, and MAYBE this pizza is not the one I like( I like lots of cheese)And What can I do to make it good for me? => add something in( for example: cheese, pepper, salt ) to make it delicious ( for my appertize) => so we need to ADD some things to the pizza(VERB) if we see He or She . 
after that I give another example : Our class want to make a big pizza,  James wants seafood, Kate wants beef, I want Hawaiian...So When we make this pizza, we can make kind-of multi- slices pizza so everyone can be happy with it. Do we need to ADD anything there? - No, => just like the VERB when the S is  you/ We/ They , we don �t add anything
With the pizza, I can teach them aout the adv of frequency ( coz ,many of them keep adding s/ es to the adv of frequency) I tell them that the adv here is just like one drink ( I ask them before to choose a drink to drink with the pizza and draw it in front of the pizza) DO you add cheese, pepper or salt to the drink?  
SO so you think it is too complicated? any ideas to make  it works for the kids. Many thanks 

6 Dec 2015