Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Difficult Adjective or Adverb Collocations    

Difficult Adjective or Adverb Collocations

spinney
United Kingdom

Difficult Adjective or Adverb Collocations

I �m trying to put a card game together for collocations to try and help the range of some of my students that are going to take Cambridge exams. I was wondering which are the most difficult collocations, either as adjectives or adverbs? "Unspeakably" is pretty good as it only really seems to collocate with "rude," "evil" and "bad" but can easily be replaced by "very." Are there any "extreme" adjectives that are difficult to collocate with "absolutely" that anyone can think of? I �m looking for an "ace in the pack" here.

8 Dec 2015      

Mariethe House
France

Here is a list of all the possible  collocations of absolutely.... but I know this is not what you are looking for!!

8 Dec 2015     

FrauSue
France

Absolutely fabulous!

8 Dec 2015     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

How about: absolutely essential

8 Dec 2015     

douglas
United States

absolutely impossible

8 Dec 2015     

FrauSue
France

I have re-read your question now.
I have tried to think of extreme adjectives that don �t collocate with "absolutely" and the only one that comes to mind is  "dangerous" (but "death-defying" is alright).
Wonderful, incredible, magnificent are all ok with "absolutely".
Dire, dismal, frightful, awful are also all ok.
Adjectives of character tend not to collocate with it - so things like humorous, kind,  honest, generous could go on your list of impossible collocations.

8 Dec 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks very much for all the answers and to José for the link he sent.

8 Dec 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Spinney

Absolutely brilliant challenge!

Maybe you can find something here:

Cheers

Jayho

9 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

I guess you �re looking for an adjective that by its nature is not black/white and not extreme OR the opposite (only exists in one possible state)? FrauSue �s �dangerous � is very good, although people actually do say that :-)) The first thing I thought of was �dead � but what about �expensive �?

Other possibilities:
  • varied
  • noisy
  • famous
  • forgetful
  • changeable
  • mediocre
  • variable
  • relative
Would they work?

Hope you �re able to share when it �s done! 

Tap

9 Dec 2015