Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > are not able or are unable    

are not able or are unable

gharbi2009
Tunisia

are not able or are unable

Hi everyone!
 I �m not sure which alternative fits better in the following sentence,
Many children are unable / are not able to afford a meal during the day.
Have a nice day

12 Dec 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well gharbi, I am going to risk an answer!
Insofar as I know, both are perfectly fine and I �m not sure there is any difference in meaning - certainly not to the ordinary person in the street. I think it boils down to personal preference and I would use �aren �t able �. �Can �t � would also do, of course. 
Have a great day,
Lynne  

12 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

I agree with Lynne. Perhaps �unable � sounds a bit nicer, but the meaning is the same.

Tap

12 Dec 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

hi Tap and Lynne!

Thanks for your help. The problem is that the sentence is suggested in an exam and I must justify the answer: why this or that. I read somewhere that �not able � refers to internal constraint whereas "unable" refers to external constraint. That �s why, I �m considering choosing " unable".  
Gharbi

12 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

I hadn �t heard of that distinction Gharbi, and I doubt it exists in the real world. There �s a discussion of this exactly on the StackExchange English website (thanks to Jayho for pointing me there). There are some very smart people who provide answers there so it �s a good place to check, though you don �t get the same sense of community (with the exception of a recent exchange here cough cough).

Tap

12 Dec 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

thanks Tap, for the link. I �ll check it. By the way, I hope the recipe was quite clear (don �t add too much pepper, here we do.

Gharbi

12 Dec 2015