Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The verb to face    

The verb to face

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

The verb to face

Hello,

I hope you are enjoying your holidays and that you had a beautiful Christmas.
 I wonder what you think about the verb face in the sentence:

-He is sitting lazily facing the sun, his feet dangling in the water.

The man (in the picture) is sitting in the sun with his face turned down, looking into the water. Would you use the verb face?

Thank you for your help.

26 Dec 2015      

yanogator
United States

If the front of his body is directed toward the sun, then "facing" is correct. It isn �t quite the same as "with his face turned toward the sun".

Bruce 

26 Dec 2015     

Apodo
Australia

The man (in the picture) is sitting in the sun with his face turned down, looking into the water. Would you use the verb face?
If he is looking down into the water I wouldn �t use the verb face. Facing indicates the whole body turned that way.
He would be facing the water, but you need more information to show he is looking down. 

He is sitting in the sun looking down into the water.

My seat in the restaurant was facing the water so I had a good view of the boats. 
I was facing the water so I didn �t see her walking past on the path behind me.

26 Dec 2015     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Bruce and Apodo,

Thank you. I expected such an answer but the problem with my students is that they think that if they find the entry face the sun in a dictionary, that is a sufficient proof that this is OK in this sentence.

27 Dec 2015     

Apodo
Australia

I had another look at your sentence.
If the front of his body is towards the sun, then I think �facing the sun � is ok. His face doesn �t have to be actually directed at the sun.

27 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

However, the addition of the adverb �lazily � makes it sound as if he is actually looking at the sun, this facing the sun is something that he is actually doing, rather than being in a position where he is facing the sun as in his body is turned towards it. It �s just a minor quibble, but if his head is down, how is he lazily facing the sun? 

27 Dec 2015     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne. Adding "lazily" changes the emphasis, so that the sentence doesn �t make sense if his face isn �t pointed toward the sun.

Bruce 

27 Dec 2015     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

To make it clear, the sentence I expected is: He is sitting lazily  in the sun, his feet dangling in the water. (The Bathers by Seurat)
 The fact is that the boy is not looking at /facing  the sun but is looking at something that is happening in the river. If you look at the shadows you can see that his face is darker that his back, which makes you think that the sun is above his head. Facing is just the word used by a student, however, I don �t think it is the word that can be used in this case.

27 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Ahem... Well, now I �ve looked at the picture, it seems to me that he is lazily facing the sun... 
Can it be that the artist hasn�t quite got the shadows right? Interesting! If it�s not copyright, I feel a ws coming on... Wink

27 Dec 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Lovely painting. When you look at the painting, he is actually facing the sun.

I don�t think that he�s really looking down into the water; he�s really staring into space or daydreaming, or perhaps contemplating, thinking, reflecting on something. He has that look of being in another world, a world of his own.

I think the sentence is ok: He is sitting lazily facing the sun, his feet dangling in the water.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Dec 2015     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Thank you all even though I see we don �t actually agree. If the boy in the picture was "facing the sun", he should have face (and his upper front part) on his back or is it ,as Cunliffe has put it, the painter who hasn �t quite get the shadows right

28 Dec 2015     

1    2    Next >