Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Singular they + verb ending by -s    

Singular they + verb ending by -s

oxXSABXxo
Germany

Singular they + verb ending by -s

Hello everyone,
Can you help me please? Well, I �d like to know if it �s possible to use singular they + verb ending by -s as for example, they does their homework or they eats dinner? If so, can you give me an example from a book please.

Thanks in advance! 

14 Jan 2016      

ana.ap
Spain

No way!

They is plural (more than one person). The ending -s is ONLY for SHE, HE and IT (Third person, singular). 

Example:

I do my homework
You do your homework
He DOES his homework
She DOES her homework
They DO their homework

The only cases you have the verb ending with -s are those with verbs ending is -s in infinitive, like "kiss" or "miss". Example:

I miss my mother.
You miss your mother.
He misses his mother.
She misses her mother.
They miss their mothers.

You is singular and plural, I mean you can say you to refer to only one person or more than one, but you use the verb without the ending -s.

I hope to have been helpful! 

14 Jan 2016     

oxXSABXxo
Germany

"They" can also be singular if you don �t know if the person is a boy or a girl.

That �s for that case that I wanted to know if we should use the ending -s or not. 

14 Jan 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi,
The so called singular they (which, as you observed, is used as a gender-neutral pronoun to refer to a single person) still needs to agree with a plural verb...

Nobody was late, were they?
Every person �s happiness depends in part upon the respect they meet in the world �"� Paley

There �s more info with examples in this wiki article 

Giorgi

14 Jan 2016     

oxXSABXxo
Germany

Gi2gi

Thanks for your answer!

14 Jan 2016