Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > electric electrical    

electric electrical

Pedro14
Spain

electric electrical

Hi there,

I have looked up the difference in meaning of these two word in a dictionary. Even so, I still don �t get it. One student of mine has asked me about the difference and I would like to give him a good answer.
Do you happen to know if there are similar pairs of words with a difference in meaning? I can think of the pair "historic / historical"
Thanks a bunch for your time and help. 

19 Jan 2016      

almaz
United Kingdom

Generally speaking, there are no hard and fast rules governing those particular adjectival endings. Some pairs are considered to be interchangeable (e.g. egotistic and egotistical), while others take on different meanings depending on what�s being modified (e.g. an electric shaver compared with an electrical engineer).

Michael Swan (in "Practical English Usage") treats electric and electrical as follows:

Electric is used with the names of particular machines that work by electricity (electric motor, electric blanket etc.)
Electrical is used before more general words (electrical equipment, electrical appliances etc.)

He also mentions pairs such as comic and comical. economic and economical, magic and magical, politic and political � as well as historic and historical.  

There are obviously more, but a half-decent dictionary should give you some idea of the different usages, if you�re not sure.

Alex 

19 Jan 2016