Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > apply for / to    

apply for / to

Pedro14
Spain

apply for / to

Hi there,

First of all thanks to those who helped me out with my last request. I much appreciate your help and time.

I have always thought that the verb "apply" is followed by the preposition "for". These day, while reading some articles I have found sentences such as: "He said he had sent out hundreds of CVs and applied TO over 70 different jobs but ..."  Can "for" be used instead of "to"? I have checked my dictionary and it says they are both acceptable. If so, are there any subtle differences in meaning? Are both commonly used in everyday English?

Thanks. 

3 Feb 2016      

ldeloresmoore
China

I �m not 100% sure, but I have a feeling this may be the difference between US and British English.  

In the US, we say "apply FOR". But I �m pretty sure I �ve heard my British coworkers say "apply TO".  

In the US, we also say "resume �". I �m fairly certain "CV" is more British.

Hope this helps.  

3 Feb 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

In the US we use both to and for. 

We apply for a job or a position at a certain company.
We apply to universitites for admittance.

We even say I applied at McDonalds and Starbucks for a job. 

In the business world resume is the standard word, but at the university CV is more common, I believe. 

3 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mary is right - you apply to a company for a job. 
�...Applied to over 70 different jobs � sounds wrong to me. You apply to 70 different companies, but you apply FOR a job/post/position.  

3 Feb 2016     

tashaleks
Spain

Yes, 
Apply TO an institution 
Apply FOR something you can obtain (job, benefit, place on a course etc) 

4 Feb 2016