Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I need your ideas    

I need your ideas

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

I need your ideas

Dear friends,
I have a rather embarrassing situation. Yesterday I did an exercise from a textbook( before giving it to my students). Then, I decided to check myself and opened the keys in that textbook. I was surprised I �d made some mistakes. But it seems to me that the keys aren �t correct. Write me your ideas and help me, please.
Put in the preposition if necessary:
1) I can invite any friends .......home.
2) I have to take care ......him.
3) My parents won �t allow me to go out ..... Saturday evening.
My answers are : 1) - 2) of  3) on
The keys: 1) at  2) about 3) at
Explain me my mistakes, please! 

5 Feb 2016      

FrauSue
France

You are right to have confidence in your own answers. The book is wrong.

5 Feb 2016     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Good job, teacher.
Books DO have misprints, that �s life :) 

5 Feb 2016     

elimonster91
Mexico

I guess your answers were correct, so the second and only the second from the book! Has happened to me :) good day!

5 Feb 2016     

L. habach
Morocco

Your answers are correct. Well done!

5 Feb 2016     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot, dear friends! You opinion is very important for me. 
Sure, Gi2gi, I �ll check the link. Thank you.

5 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Julia, which textbook did you use?  Sure, the odd typo happens, but this seems to be a particularly egregious one. Can you post a link or screenshot?

5 Feb 2016     

nevelyne
Portugal

1) I can invite any friends at home.
2) I have to take care of him. (=look after)
3) My parents won ´t allow me to go out on Saturday evening.

Invite to - I can invite any friends to my house. BUT with "home" is the following: I can invite any friends at home.

Take care of = tend to the needs of; look after; see that <something> is done

Will you take care of getting the tickets?
I was home, taking care of my sick child.

Take care about  = be careful of; be mindful of the way you do <something>

Take care about the way you pack that glassware. It �s fragile.
Take care about your route; some roads are closed in the winter.

3)

Notice the use of the prepositions of time in and on in these common expressions:

inon
in the morningon Tuesday morning
in the morningson Saturday mornings
in the afternoon(s)on Sunday afternoon(s)
in the evening(s)on Monday evening(s)

5 Feb 2016     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

Thank you, nevelyne! I thought the same way, except #1. I thought "at home" we use in such phrases as "to be at home", �to stay at home", but in phrase "to go home" we use no preposition, so "invite friends home" will be correct. 
Look, almaz :

5 Feb 2016     

Apodo
Australia

Invite any friends home is correct. 

Also �fed up with � - the with is missing.

We can care about someone = be concerned about. His parents care about him and his poor marks, but we wouldn �t use �about � in this sentence. 

I would write it this way: My parents aren �t happy with his marks at school, so I have to take care of him and do his homework with him every day. I �m really depressed about that.

Because care for him means look after, which doesn �t link with the idea of poor school marks. 

6 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Thanks for the screenshot, Julia. I wholeheartedly endorse what Marion (Apodo) wrote. As you pointed out to nevelyne, you can invite someone home (or to your or into your home), but not invite someone at home.

So, there�s nothing wrong with your own answers. I�m just astonished that a textbook could have so many glaring errors in such a short extract. I shudder to think what the rest of the book is like. The only thing I can think of in possible mitigation � for the author, at any rate � is that, because this looks like an electronic version, the publishers probably used cheap or lightweight OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software without bothering to edit the resulting text. But I may be wrong and the author is just a chancer anyway. Is Gdz-Putina a particularly trustworthy source of textbooks?

Alex 

6 Feb 2016     

1    2    Next >