Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Shy students, small group, conversational course    

Shy students, small group, conversational course

PaulG
Costa Rica

Shy students, small group, conversational course

Hi everyone. So I have several very small groups. Two of them have only 2 students, and one has 3. They are conversational courses, and sometimes I bring conversational topics that should last 30 minutes, yet they end up lasting only 10. Now what I would like to know is if anybody knows of any conversational activites that can be done with only 2 or 3 students.

6 Feb 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

There are some useful prompts here.  

7 Feb 2016     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think it depends on how old the students are. If they are children, I would use speaking games.
I  give only  private classes, so my students come alone or two, max three. I normally bring a text and we read it and discuss it. The pictures based discussions are great and work well. I have never had success giving only a subject and saying let �s talk about. I think they should prepare questions about the text, give them to the others to answer. You are the moderator and direct their discussion. If they run out of ideas, you bring them back.

7 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Or choose a story that �s in the news and adopt this approach.

7 Feb 2016     

PaulG
Costa Rica

Thanks!!! Btw, speaking games are good for any age. The problem is that most of them require more than 2 students.

7 Feb 2016     

Apodo
Australia

When I worked with small groups of adults I found board games useful. Here is an example:

Even the shy students ended up laughing and enjoying games like this. 

7 Feb 2016