Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Narrow street    

Narrow street

Minka
Slovenia

Narrow street

Is there another word in English for a narrow street? Such as seen in small towns near the sea or something? Thanks in advance.

8 Feb 2016      

Meliyann
France

A lane maybe?

8 Feb 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

Thanks. 

8 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Lane is good. You might also have alley/alleyway and passage/passageway. In Scotland, we also have vennel and wynd, which you may see occasionally in the North of England along with the rarer chare. If it�s covered (sometimes with an arched or vaulted roof), it�s often called a pend or a close)

Alex 

8 Feb 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

Thank you, everybody, you �ve been very helpful. If I say that I need an expression for a street with the walls of the houses quite close to each other, is it true that "alley" is the best? At lest that �s w hat Google suggests.Thanks again. 

8 Feb 2016     

douglas
United States

yes alley is the best choice .

8 Feb 2016     

Hbomb84
Spain

I �d go with lane over alley.

9 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

I �d go with alley over lane. �Alley � conjures up an image of a dark, cluttered, closed in laneway, surrounded by close set buildings. A �lane � on the other hand can also (& not only) create visions of a narrow thoroughfare with fields, gently rolling hills and country homes as well. Cheers, AB

9 Feb 2016     

FrauSue
France

In the North of England, you could also have a "ginnel".

For me, an "alley" is a small, enclosed or narrow access lane that leads somewhere, rather than a street in itself. He ran down the alley to the back green.

13 Feb 2016