Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Rewrite    

Rewrite

[email protected]
Spain

Rewrite

Hi. Could u help me with this? Although the weather was awful, they had a great time In spite of...... In spite of the awful weather, they had a great time That is the answer I expected, but a student wrote � in spite of being an awful weather, they had a great time � I know �in spite of � is followed by noun, or -ing., but I don �t know in this example. Another rewrite we did was � in spite of being very old, he managed to... � Thanks a lot

11 Feb 2016      

i_love_english
France

I think you could say "In spite of the weather being awful" but it sounds a bit akward maybe...
Steph 

11 Feb 2016     

yanogator
United States

The "being" needs a subject. as the student wrote it, it is saying that "they" were awful weather, so that doesn �t work. Another example of that would be "In spite of being hungry, they had to wait two hours for dinner." Also, "weather" isn �t countable, so we don �t use "a" with it.

Your expected answer of "In spite of the awful weather, they had a good time" works, and Steph �s suggestion works, too.

Bruce 

11 Feb 2016     

[email protected]
Spain

Thank you very much Steph and Bruce

11 Feb 2016