Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I ´m sorry    

I ´m sorry

gharbi2009
Tunisia

I ´m sorry

Dear colleagues,

Perhaps, it is easier to teach a language than its culture. I couldn ´t figure out why it is said "I ´m sorry. I didn ´t know that" for example when hearing bad news. What do we apologize for if "I ´m sorry" in such context means apology? My question may seem strange but in our culture, the reply we expect  is totally different. Any help from natives or other colleagues?  

21 Feb 2016      

ninon100
Russian Federation

I believe that "I ´m sorry" in this context means "it makes me sad", NOT "it ´s my fault".
BTW, what do people in your culture say? 

21 Feb 2016     

Tony C
United Kingdom

For me, the meaning is a short way of saying "I am sorry to hear that (news)".
Some of us English can be lazy, or concise with speaking our language.

21 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, "sorry" after be can express regret, grief, remorse, sympathy, pity, sadness and vexation as well as apology. As an attributive adjective, it can also mean wretched, miserable, pathetic, poor.

21 Feb 2016     

ana.ap
Spain

Yes, it ´s like the opposite to ´I ´m happy for you �. By saying you ´re sorry, you show your empathy somehow.

21 Feb 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

thanks all for your comments, quite hel

21 Feb 2016