Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Please help me...    

Please help me...

Istruka
Portugal

Please help me...

Hello,

I have a doubt when ordering words to make a sentence. I have:

they / on / Spain / holiday / in / were  

Should I write They were on holiday in Spain.  or They were in Spain on holiday.

24 Feb 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

both are possible. It depends on the context. What was being asked?

1. Where did they go for the summer break? They were on holiday in Spain. 
2. I haven �t seen the Browns recently. Where were they? They were in Spain, on holiday. 

24 Feb 2016     

Istruka
Portugal

Thank you so much.
I think it is the first one because there are no comas.
You �re a life saver!!! 

24 Feb 2016     

SVieira
Portugal

If there are no other constraints (regarding context), I would go for "They were on holiday in Spain", because references to time and to place can always be placed at the end of the sentence, in order not to break any other constructions; and taking into account that "to be on holiday" is a phrase on ist own... 
Going for "They were in Spain on holiday" sounds less neutral to me, as it seems to imply precisely what Mary suggested.

Sandra

24 Feb 2016     

lucifora
France

Hi!

"They were on holiday in Spain" sounds correct to me. "To be on holiday" cannot be separate as it �s a phrase of its own... Even if you want to insist on the fact that their holiday destination was Spain.
But as it was answered before, the other sentence would be OK with a coma, as if adding the information "on holiday" afterwards...

Val 

24 Feb 2016     

teresasimoes
Portugal

Out of a context, I think the second sentence is better according to the basic rule, that is, place before time.

They were in Spain on holiday. 

25 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

They were on holiday in Spain. 

25 Feb 2016