Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Creative writing workshop    

Creative writing workshop

Yams
Argentina

Creative writing workshop

Hello everyone,
How are you? I need your help.
I will be in charge of a creative writng workshop for secondary school students in a mixed level class. Most of them are elementary level and some of them have never studied English before.
Do you have any ideas/websites/materials I can use for these students? Any ideas will help me a lot.
Thank you in advance.
Yamila 

24 Feb 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Does your class have access to computers?

24 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Are they expected to produce some creative writing in English, when they are at such a basic level? That doesn �t seem realistic to me. What is the point? 

Edit: Sorry if my answer there isn�t helpful - I just sometimes think teachers are asked to perform miracles and I don�t think I could get any creative writing from beginners. No doubt they have the intellectual skills - in their own language. 

Yesterday, I had a comment on one of my wss, which I considered suitable for intermediate to advanced level. The commentator said it had been really good for her pre-intermediates. Maybe these terms mean different things to different people. 

The advice I would give to teach beginners is that there has to be input before they can give any output. I advise DARTs activities - match-up/gap fill/sequencing and as alien boy advises - images, all the time. So my advice would be lots of picture stories and ask them to draw an alternative ending. Label the pictures with single words.  

Good luck - glad that�s your task, not mine!Wink

24 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Yamila,

Here are some suggestions, from experience.
- start with telling a clear, simple story as an example. Fairy tales or folk stories are good because they�re well known. I probably�wouldn�t give them the ending to the story, however, so that you can use that as a prompt to create their own ending. I also use pictures along with the writing when doing this.
- get the students to suggest endings. Make sure you write them down & put them on display with the rest of the story.
- discuss changing the characters, then the locations, items, & problems/solutions. I often use a �story face � template with the students. I�ll post a link later, or message me with an email address & I�ll send something to you.
You can rewrite the story together with the students, or in smaller groups, or individually, or even a mixture of all 3.
- get the students to create their own stories individually or in pairs, groups or whatever suits. Get them to use something like the �story face�, or another similar construction template, to outline & then create their story.
Good luck! It can be a lot of fun & very rewarding for you and the students if you prepare things appropriate to their language ability and their age!
Cheers,
AB�

24 Feb 2016     

Apodo
Australia

25 Feb 2016     

aftab57
United Kingdom

You may find some odd ideas here:

25 Feb 2016