Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > writes    

writes

gharbi2009
Tunisia

writes

Hi colleagues!

We have a reading text in our textbook entitled "I �VE ALWAYS HAD A HEAD FOR WRITES" and I can �t figure out whether "writes" here is used as a noun or a verb. I tried to check in some dictionaries if "write" can be a noun but in vain. Can you help me, please?

26 Feb 2016      

Mr. TITA
Morocco

Dear gharbi,
The word "write" can �t be a noun. it is always a verb. I think that this title is used ironically because it isn �t grammatically correct. For example,it can fit as a comment on a boastful person who pretends to be a good writer but in reality, he doesn �t master the simplest and easiest things.

26 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

It sounds like it�s meant to be some kind�of play on words to me, but without reading the rest of the reading I really couldn�t say.

If you can post�it here then you may get a more complete response.
Cheers,
AB�

26 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

I�d say it�s a fairly strained play on the phrase have a head for heights.

Incidentally, write has been used as a noun since at least the 16th century according to the OED. It�s not exactly common nowadays and tends to be used punningly (John Lennon�s first book, for example, was In His Own Write � a play on �In His Own Right�, since it was something he�d written independently of the Beatles).

Alex 

27 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Very good, almaz. That sounds very likely and it �s quite a clever play on words. 

The usual noun from �write � is �writing � e.g. �Her writing is excellent. � �Write � as a noun doesn �t really pass muster, other than in this highly stylised way you see in the examples here. 

27 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, cunliffe, that�s what I was saying (despite its attestation as a noun, "it�s not exactly common nowadays and tends to be used punningly"). 

27 Feb 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

thanks a lot for your help. 

For AB: the text is about a woman who made her dream come true through her perseverance and hard work. Her dream was to be a novelist. Alex! I think you put your finger on it. Thanks a lot

27 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Ooh, sorry! Just wanting to clarify that. If a child wrote that, it would need pointing out that that is not standard English, even wrong 
Edit: gharbi, we posted at the same time. Yes, I think almaz nailed that. 

27 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

My pleasure, gharbi.

27 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Thanks Alex, Lynne, & gharbi. Nice to see my suspicions confirmed ;)

27 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Ah, just realised that if you�re an aitch-dropper, I�ve always had a head for writes would sound like "I�ve always had a head for heights" (well, it would sound like I�ve always �ad a �ead for �eights  ). And why not? H-dropping was a rich source of punning in Elizabethan drama (lots of mileage in air/hair/heir ambiguity, for example).

27 Feb 2016     

1    2    Next >