Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Modals of Possibility vs Probbility    

Modals of Possibility vs Probbility

gportiglioti
Brazil

Modals of Possibility vs Probbility

Hello folks! How are you?

I �m having a hard time in finding a good way to explain to a class of young leaners (11/12 yo) the difference between possibility and probability. They �re are learning PERFECT MODALS. does anyone know an easy way to make them understand this concept?

Thank you so much! 

28 Feb 2016      

SVieira
Portugal

Hi.
You may try referring to the lottery as an example:
Tell your ss "I have bought a lottery ticket, but I will keep teaching you - I donj �t think I will win the lottery."
From here, you can proceed to explain that the possibility of winning the lottery is real, because you have bought the tickey; but the probability is extremely low, so they can count on you as their teacher to the end if the school year.

Once they have understood the difference, you may then iontroduce the adequate modals to express each of the situations:
"I may / might win the lottery tomorrow, as I have bought a ticket." --> possibility
 "I won �t win the lottery tomorrowm even though I have bought a ticket." --> probability

Tohave your ss practise the difference, you can then ask them to build sentences about their lives expressing probability and possibility and read them to class, to see if theyr colleagues � reaction: "I might be get an excellent mark in the history test, but I probably won �t, because I haven �t studied much."

I hope this helps.

Sandra

28 Feb 2016     

gportiglioti
Brazil

Thank you, Sandra!!

This is a wonderful tip! 

28 Feb 2016     

gportiglioti
Brazil

Thank you, Sandra!!

This is a wonderful tip!