Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Contol a dominant adult implusive behavior    

Contol a dominant adult implusive behavior

hheyitsme
Tunisia

Contol a dominant adult implusive behavior

Hi fellow teachers,

Can you give an advice or two on how to control a dominant adult impulsive behavior? (replying when it is not her/his turn, saying out loud the answers when everyone is still figuring out the task...)

Thanks,

28 Feb 2016      

Nayamaus
Australia

I would just have a chat to the student after class or during the break and explain that others need more time than him to arrive at the answer and that you want to give everyone the opportunity to have a go at answering. Sometimes I ask them to help their partner or someone at their table instead of just shouting out the answer.

Also if they answer out of turn, like if you asked Maryam for her answer but Daniel gave it instead I use humour like, "Oh, hello Maryam!" to Daniel to elicit laughter and it usually works, they learn to wait til their name is called... 

29 Feb 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

Just trying to clarify -- this is a child student trying to act like an adult? Or this is an adult student who is just being rude? 

29 Feb 2016     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Paircheck for almost everything you do.
When you are doing controlled practice, let them do the exercises individually, then check it in pairs. Then there �ll be no shouting.  After paircheck it �s even possible to skip the one-by-one checking procedure if you �ve been monitoring closely and can see the answers are right.
For speaking practice, put the group into pairs/trios/groups of 4 and set the task.
The fewer "Teacher - Open Class" activities you have, the more difficult it is for an individual to stick out. And the more opportunities are created for shy ones. They might seem slow in front of the whole class, but in groups they �ll relax and start speaking.
Don �t try to cotrol everyone at once.  
As for the aggressive behaviour in adults, they say it �s too late to bring up a child when he �s 7 years old. You should have done it earlier :) So - your only resort is efficient classroom management.
One more idea: you can delegate part of your work to the over-active student. Ask him/her to be a team captain, dictate some texts to the group when necessary, prepare interesting questions/quizzes at home for the whole group and do them with everyone. Channel his/her energy into a useful direction. 
For whole class activities, it sometimes helps to have a soft toy (yes, yes, with adults!) and pass it at random from student to student. You have the toy - you speak. No toy - no speaking :) Works miracles and relieves the stress!

29 Feb 2016     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

That �s awkward.
I wish I had that problem.

My challenge is to get a student to volunteer an answer in front of the class - in this culture (Japan), no one wants to stand out or go first.

Perhaps, as Nayamus suggested, you could say the name of the student you �d like an answer from at the begninning of the question. That would be my first approach.

Good luck. 

1 Mar 2016