Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Sporty or sportive?    

Sporty or sportive?

sashulochka
Ukraine

Sporty or sportive?

Hello everybody, 
I �m wondering if there is a way to differentiate the words sportive and sporty?
If a person likes sport or just goes in for sport and as a result has sporty (sportive) body? Thanks for your help)))

29 Feb 2016      

alien boy
Japan

Sportive is a word I �ve hardly ever heard used. Normally I �d use �an athletic body �. Cheers, AB

29 Feb 2016     

Apodo
Australia

I agree with AB. Someone has an athletic body.

Someone who enjoys playing lots of sports or outdoor activities can be called sporty. It �s an informal word.
I never use sportive. 

29 Feb 2016     

[email protected]
Thailand

After 49 years on this Earth I have never heard (or indeed wish to hear or read it again) the word �sportive �.
Obviously an American aberration. 

29 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Hi�[email protected]

it�s actually�not American English, but dates back to Elizabethan times.�These days it�s rather archaic, unless it�s refering to certain cycling events. I have occasionally heard sportive used when describing frolicsome animals. Mind you, I wouldn�t mind betting that it has been used more in American English than British English over the 20th century. Maybe I�ll have to stick it in the Google Ngram viewer & find out!
Cheers,
AB�

29 Feb 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Alien Boy that it is not American English. There is an entry in dictionary.com for it but is a meaning other than athletic: playful or frolicsome. I think that sashulochka meant athletic, not playful. 

29 Feb 2016     

sashulochka
Ukraine

Thank you all for your help. I �ve never used "sportive" but once I heard it from my student. 
The free dictionary gives such definitions - 
1. Playful; frolicsome.
2. Relating to or interested in sports.
3. Archaic Amorous or wanton.

The second meaning was confusing for me. 
Now it �s clear)  

1 Mar 2016