Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > relative clause    

relative clause

tommy1996
Vietnam

relative clause

Plz tell me what relative pronoun is right? I hate formal occasions like wedding where/when i have to wear a suit. Thanks.

6 Mar 2016      

yanogator
United States

Generally, "when" is for time, so using "occasions" leads to "where". Also, it should be "weddings".

Bruce 

6 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with Bruce. However, in this case and in my neck of the woods, the natural utterance would be �when �

6 Mar 2016     

marzouga
Morocco

for peace of mind i think we can use "in which" of course if we don �t have limited choice . otherwise, i would say when as it implies the day of the wedding .

6 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

I �m with Lynne. A wedding is a specific event, so we commonly use �when � in Australia, too, rather than �where �.

�Where � is more commonly used for locations rather than for scheduled events, so Marzouga has it right.

Cheers,
AB 

7 Mar 2016     

poroxod
Uzbekistan

DEFINITE ANSWER

I was not satisfied with the answers of native speakers. There was no common reply to this question. Answers expressed by members don �t enable to make a final conclusion, because one definite answer is not agreed. Amaxingly, no one refers to grammatical resources to clarify the answer. It is a pity which shows lack of proficiency in grammar. We turn to native speakers to obtain the definite answer.

THE DEFINITE ANSWER IS WHERE. 

I hate ties and collared shirts in general. Any wedding or other formal event where I have to wear a suit, I �m constantly tugging at my neck and ripping off my tie within 5 seconds of getting back in my car to drive home after the event.

8 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

From an Australian perspective not all formal occasions require formal dress. A lot is dependent upon one �s role at the event and the information provided with the invitation, hence the common usage of �when � rather than �where �. It may well be more of an issue of descriptive grammar as distinct from prescriptive grammar for many native speakers.

8 Mar 2016