Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help with a individual student     

help with a individual student

melissab
Argentina

help with a individual student

Hello. I give private lessons (mostly conversation) to a student whose overall level is probably a very low intermediate but who is willing to try to talk about anything. The problem is that I want to improve his grammar without discouraging him with constant correction (very necessary). Any ideas? He can express himself in past simple and future if you guide him into it.

7 Mar 2016      

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Perhaps a guided reading and multi-choice activity using the same theme you want to talk about that day.

For example:

You choose (in advance)�to talk about enjoyable holidays or weekend activities that you have had.
After reading about someone �s enjoyable activities, you could have some questions like this.
...........................................................................................
What did Jonny enjoy on the third day of his holiday?
(A) He enjoys riding a horse.
(B) He will enjoy riding a horse.
(C) He enjoyed riding a horse.
Check your answer:
The answer is (C)��He enjoyed riding a horse.
Why is the answer (C)?
Becuase�it talks about the past. The question�asked about the past.
.........................................................................................
Perhaps with these pre-hints�as it were, then, when you talk with your student about his/her holiday and weekend activities, he/she will still have those little Q&A answers in mind, and will make fewer grammar errors.�
I guess it is a�difficult choice.
Pragmatic communication or the necessary but unpleasant corrections.
After all, if you do not correct the�errors, you �ll feel bad as a teacher I suppose (I would).
I hope that simple but rather mechanical approach is of some little help.�

8 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

I like Matthew �s suggestion.
Another idea, if you have the ability, is to record the sessions, so you can make the corrections in writing later. Then you can use your notes to teach the necessary grammar points. An alternative, if you don �t have the ability to make recordings, is just to take notes during the conversations, without interrupting the flow, and create grammar lessons from your notes.

Bruce 

8 Mar 2016