Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Tricky article - who is right - the teacher or a student?    

Tricky article - who is right - the teacher or a student?

ohermann
Czech Republic

Tricky article - who is right - the teacher or a student?

Hi dear friends,

I’m just preparing a student for TOEFL exam and we come across this lesson here. There is a passage about the migration from Asia to North America. Could you please tell me which answer is correct for the question No.1? If you can’t open the link above here is the link for the text:

http://www.fumcaustin.org/esl/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/TOEFL-Homework-LEsson-4.pdf

1. Which sentence best expresses the essential information in this passage?

a. Human migration across the Bering Strait was remarkably slow.

b. Physical limitations made migration across the Bering Strait almost impossible.

c. Humans readily adapted to life in the Bering Strait.

d. The migration through the Americas was surprisingly fast.

The answers B and C are absolutely out of the question. In my opinion the correct answer is A (Human migration across the Bering Strait was remarkably slow.). Nevertheless, my student says it is D (The migration through the Americas was surprisingly fast.).

In my opinion, the key sentence is “…The Americas were populated at an astounding pace, when one considers the physical limits of the human body …” where the part “when one considers the physical limits of …” tells us that only from this point of view the migration was fast. At the beginning of the article we learn that it “took more than 1,000 years, or 30 generations” which I think is slow process.

Thanks for your consideration and answers.

Oto

8 Mar 2016      

alien boy
Japan

I agree with your student - D

8 Mar 2016     

ILO
Poland

Answer D correct.

8 Mar 2016     

ohermann
Czech Republic

BTW, I just googled the answer key for the exercise from the original book and the correct answer is A there. So, I am confused.

8 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

I agree with your student too - it�s d - although I see from a Russian scan of the original that the given answer is a. But then, typos and oversights are not unknown in the highly competitive business of ELT publishing. The pivotal phrase is "further thought" � which is actually highlighted and defined in the sidebar as "looking deeper; thinking more". I thought that might be a giveaway...

The passage is not about how slow the migration was (the use of "seem" suggests that this perception may be wrong), but rather how surprisingly fast ("an astounding pace"), given the conditions and limitations.

Alex 

Oops, Oto. Looks like we posted at the same time.

8 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oto, your logic is sound, but you might be over-analysing this a bit. I would go with D. 

8 Mar 2016     

ohermann
Czech Republic

I must admit when I read the text for the first time I also thought about answer D. And, as Lynne commented, I started over-analysing the text ’cause the andswer D had looked too easy and clear to me. I think I should relax and stop working overtime.
Thanks my dear friends for your prompt replies.
Oto

8 Mar 2016