Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar help!    

Grammar help!

ronit85
Israel

Grammar help!

Hello to you all and a nice week,
Could you help me with the correct choice  in this sentence
What continent is _____________ .America or Africa?
                                     larger/ the largest  
Please give me an explanation too.
 Thanks in advance,
Ronit 

13 Mar 2016      

sakhou
France

Larger. You compare 2 elements.

Sakhou

13 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

sakhou is right. You would certainly say, �America is bigger than Africa �... (It might be the other way round; Geography is not my strong point;-)) However, most of the population would say, in the question form: �Which continent is the largest, America or Africa? � In fact, I just asked my husband that very question, (he didn �t know, either!). So, I �m going to say that either form is OK. Here is someone asking the same question. What is in grammar books and guides, isn �t always what is said! 
If any grammarians like almaz are around, they may be able to come up with a more comprehensive answer for you.   

13 Mar 2016     

FrauSue
France

It �s grammatically correct to use "larger" here because you are only comparing two things.
However, if you didn �t have the two options at the end, you would ask, "Which continent is the largest?" because it �s implied that you are asking for the largest of all seven continents.

13 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne, that people frequently use "the largest", even when comparing only two things. However, it would be a bad idea here, because it might sound like you are asking which, America or Africa, is the largest of all the continents.

Also, America isn �t a continent. There are two Americas - North and South - and each is a continent.

Bruce 

13 Mar 2016     

samiking1
Tunisia

definitely it �s larger since we compare two elements .If it were more than two we would use the superlative largest

13 Mar 2016     

ronit85
Israel

A big thank you to all of you who took the time to answer and explain the correct answer
I really appreciate!  
Ronit 

13 Mar 2016     

mariajosefuster
Spain

After seeing Yanogatyor �s answer, I checked on the Internet:
You see, there are many different continental models. In the United States, the model that is used and taught in schools is the 7 continent model, which divides North and South America into two different continents. In many other parts of the world and most of Latin America, the continental model is of only 6 continents and America is one single continent. North, South and Central America are simply the names of the regions within the contintents.
It seems I have been taught that America is a continent but in some countries it is taught that it is 2 continents.

13 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

Thank you for that information, Maria. I had never heard it before.

Bruce 

13 Mar 2016     

douglas
United States

Interesting information Maria, thank-you.

14 Mar 2016