Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar question    

Grammar question

barbario
Spain

Grammar question

We can say:

Shall we go to the cinema?

but can we say:
Why shan �t we go to the cinema? 

16 Mar 2016      

Mariethe House
France

I think: "why don �t we go tothe cinema?" is preferable. Never heard "why shan �t we go..".

16 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

In the US, "shan �t" isn �t used at all. I don �t know about other countries on that.

I agree with Mariethe.

Bruce 

16 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Marieth� and Bruce are right. 
�Shan �t � has gone out of the language.  

16 Mar 2016     

barbario
Spain

Thanks a lot. That �s what I thought but a student insisted that I ask.

16 Mar 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

What about, "I shan �t keep you,?" We still say that where I �m from. "Why shan �t we go?" is wrong though.

17 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

�Shall� & �shan�t� are both considered archaic by many English speakers, so are not used. If they are used, the person saying/writing them comes across as/is taken as/is considered to be using �affected� speech/mannersims.

However, as there are hundreds of different dialects of English, then its use may not have disappeared entirely, as evinced by Dale�s post.

Cheers, AB�

17 Mar 2016     

barbario
Spain

Spinney and alien boy: Thanks for the clarification

18 Mar 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

By the way, I still teach shall of offering to do things, we don �t really use it for the future anymore (although some very posh people do) but it �s common to say "shall I open a window, get you a drink, turn on the heater, bring your breakfast to your room?" etc. I think the Americans use it more though in that sense. 

19 Mar 2016